Stay up to date
Join the Hampton Classic Mailing list!
Check Back This Spring for Community Partners PDF
The Hampton Classic is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with a two-fold mission:
1) to put on a world-class horse show.
2) to support other charities in our community.
Since 1977, the Hampton Classic has made annual financial contributions totaling more than two million dollars to its official community partner, Southampton Hospital. In addition, the Classic provides onsite booth space for Hospital staff to interact with the public, as well as two VIP tables that the Hospital can use to thank current and cultivate new supporters. All Southampton Hospital employees are admitted for free.
The Classic supports many other local non-profit organizations and equestrian related charities. Following is a summary of the Hampton Classic’s charitable activities, beyond its own 501(c)3 status and its annual financial donation and in-kind support to Southampton Hospital.
• Jump for Charity is a charity initiative the Hampton Classic launched in 2016. The program, sponsored by Sea Shore Stables, pairs 12 riders (8 individuals and two 2-rider teams) with 10 select charities to serve as "team captains." Each rider will autograph 30 hats, which will be sold for $100 each. If all hats sell, a total of $30,000 will be raised, and awarded to the charity paired with the rider with the best finish in the Friday $86,000 Douglas Elliman Grand Prix Qualifier. On Thursday, August 31, the remaining riders competing in the qualifier will be randomly matched with these teams, so that every rider has an opportunity to win money for their paired charity. Only the best placed competitor from each team will count for that charity with the third place charity taking home $1,000, the second place chairty winning $2,000, and the remainder going to the charity paired with the winning rider. The ten participating charities and their team captains for 2017 are:
Team Molly Ashe-Cawley – Center for Therepeutic Riding on the East End
Team Shane Sweetnam – Church Street School for Music and Art
Team Georgina Bloomberg – Equine Aid Foundation
Team - Danielle & Jimmy Torano – EQUUS Foundation
Team Andrew Welles – HEART Equine Ambulance
Team Callan Solem – New York Junior League
Team Lucy & Mario Deslauriers – ReRun Thoroughbred Adoption
Team McLain Ward – Save our Seahorses, Cornell Cooperative Extension for Marine Research
Team Catherine Tyree – Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation
Team Ramiro Quintana – Team Fox for Parkinson's Research
- Hampton Classic makes an annual financial contribution to Southampton Hospital. In its 40+ year relationship with the hospital, the show has contributed more than $2M to the hospital. The Hampton Classic also gives the hospital boutique space to interact with the community, VIP tables to entertain top donors and other stake holders, onsite signage, program advertisements, the opportunity for the Hospital President to make remarks from the Grand Prix field on Opening Day, and complimentary entry for all Southampton Hospital employees.
- Hampton Classic Animal Adoption Day has been in place for 10 years. It includes 6-8 dog and cat shelters and horse rescue organizations. These organizations are given a platform to raise awareness and funds for their individual organization, and most importantly, they’re given an opportunity to find forever homes for their animals in need. Dozens of animals are adopted as a direct result of Adoption Day each year.
- Beginning in 2011, the Hampton Classic partnered with the Sag Harbor Food Pantry to collect non-perishable food items. People who come to the show on Tuesday and Wednesday with three or more items to donate will get their entire car-load in for free.
- Since 2006, the Hampton Classic has been hosting the Long Island Horse Show Series for Riders with Disabilities (LIHSSRD) Finals. The establishment of this finals competition enabled the LIHSSRD organization to found the entire series, which has become a fixture on the calendars of disabled individuals throughout Long Island.
- The Hampton Classic leases property at the corner of Montauk Highway and Lockwood Avenue that it sublets, at no cost, to the Bridgehampton Union Free School District. This lease began in Spring 2016. The property is used by the school to expand its gardening program and tie into other educational programs regarding agriculture, farming, and related micro business opportunities.
- Other non-profit organizations that do smaller partnerships at the Classic, providing program ads, on-site visibility, discounted sponsorships, and other support include: Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation, Guild Hall, EQUUS Foundation, HEART Equine Ambulance, The Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research & Preservation, SOFO Museum, Stony Brook Medical, Turtle Rescue of the Hamptons, Bridgehampton Childcare Center, and Long Island Professional Horsemen’s Association.
- In recognition of the “backup” ambulance support Bridge Hampton Fire Department provides, the Hampton Classic donates $5,000 to the Department each year.
- In addition to these more active partnerships, the Classic gives away VIP ticket packages (good Tuesday – Saturday) to charity auctions, valued at $2,500 per package, and a gift package of a general admission pass for the week, a poster, and a program, valued at $150, for charity raffles. Additionally, the Hampton Classic donates one Chalet Table, valued at $17,500 to a charity auction. Hampton Classic typically donates more than 125 raffle and auction packages annually.
These donations, combined with east end charity involvement and overall economic impact estimates, show the Hampton Classic to be an event of significant economic impact on our local community, thus extending its importance as a leading charity fundraising and sporting event.